So, Hannah and I often refer to people who are very "natural" as "granola". To use it in a sentence we might say, "She's so granola she crunches when she walks." Not that being natural is a BAD thing - as we all know the whole world is "going green." It's just kind of hard to break those bad habits we have and try new things that might be (okay ARE) better for us, the environment, etc.
Anyway, I have been following a lovely woman's blog for a while now named MckMama. If any of you do too, you know that she is what I would classify as Granola - BIG TIME!!! She's into exclusive breastfeeding for the first YEAR of life, cloth diapers, drinking RAW milk, washing with goat's milk soap, really healthy eating and on and on. She's also really cool, witty, a great photographer and a really strong Christian who has been through such an ordeal with her youngest son's health recently. She inspired me to try a new recipe and let's just say it didn't go so well.
She often talks about eating hummus and while I love the store bought version (I usually buy Sabra brand - Roasted Pine Nut flavor) I've never made it myself. She posted the recipe about a week ago on her blog and I gathered all the necessary ingredients today at Publix - including ORGANIC chickpeas. I also bought carrot chips and sugar snap peas to use as my dippers instead of crackers. I KNOW!! So, this morning after I got everything put away I broke out my (okay Hannah's that I have on an extended loan agreement) Food Processor and got to pureeing up some hummus! So far, not so good. The flavor is alright, but the texture is way too runny. Not the smooth, creamy store brand texture I'm used to. It is chilling in the refrigerator right now and I'm hoping that will help it thicken or else it's headed straight for the garbage disposal!
Anyway, I am trying to be more environmentally friendly overall. I have a LONG way to go, but I have been consistently using my canvas grocery bags and I have to say that it is so much better because the hold a TON more than those flimsy plastic bags. I also do buy some organic foods - mostly dairy and it tastes so much better!! I have changed most of our light bulbs out to the CFL ones that use less energy, too. Simple things that make a difference in the long run. But just let me set the record straight - there will be no cloth diapering going on in this house! Sorry, it just ain't gonna happen!! I am thinking of trying some of her suggestions for more natural cleaning methods. All those chemicals can't be good for us. I'll post on that if I get better results that the hummus!
Park City Utah
4 years ago

Ive never tried hummus...doesnt sound good to me but maybe one day I will. I am also trying to be more "green" too but its very hard to change everyones way of thinking...Let us know if you have any other tips for going green and if the hummus doesnt work out bring it down to the house we'll feed it to our pigs they will love it...LOL
ReplyDeleteNo clothe diapers here either. That's yuck! My family have also been "trying" to be more earth friendly. Raleigh is constantly looking for the recycle sign on things, we just never seem to recycle them! OOPS! Maybe this summer I will come up with a system. Anyway, I am proud of you girl...
ReplyDeleteI love it. No, I agree, let's not be swishing that dirty diaper in the toilet and then throwing it in the wash..gag. Hmm, I do love me some hummus, but I agree Sabra is the bomb. Cloth bags are great for everything. We do our best, Steve believes in cleaning the kids plates. I do like the vinegar for cleaning stuff...leftovers make me feel better about our budget and recycling.
ReplyDeleteYay! I love "going green" for most things but the soap, raw milk & cloth diapers - no thanks! I love the organic stuff, I just wish it wasn't so expensive. We need to get some sort of recycling program around here. I gather mine up each week & have to take it to Leesburg or Ocala & it's a pain! OOOH & I like that hummus too but I think it's garlic & something that's my fave with some whole wheat crackers or little mini pitas! Yum! I'll let you try out the recipes & you can pass the good ones on to me :)
ReplyDeleteHomemade hummus. Wow. Now YOU are so Granola! hahahahahahahahaha
ReplyDeleteI'm laughing so hard, bc I am a "granola"
ReplyDeleteHave been ever since I was pregnant with Steven. However, I am NOT into the cloth diaper thing. Thats just plain gross.