Tuesday, May 26, 2009

End of another school year

So, it's May and another school year is drawing to an end... It has really flown by once again. This morning I attended Avery's awards ceremony that her three teachers do for their classes only so it's really special and they talk alot about each child. Avery has been in a program called Project CHILD since kindergarten in which each grade has a homeroom teacher, but they also rotate to the other two teachers for different subjects. We have been really blessed with such a great group of teachers. Each year I like to show my appreciation for them with an end of the year gift and with having to do whatever I choose times three, I have to consider the cost factor, too. I usually like to involve Avery in making at least part of the gift or writing a card - something that is from her, too. This year I found these cute flower pens that were about $10 each in a gift shop and I just bought some inexpensive clay pots and let Avery paint them and write each teacher's name on them. Then I added some candies to the bottom and I think they turned out really cute! I brought them to the school today for Avery to give her teachers and they all loved them!

I also made cards for each teacher specific to the subjects they teach which I think turned out super cute, too! I have actually been making alot of cards lately and I'm really enjoying it. I have tons of scrapbook stuff and cards are a great way to use up miscellaneous stickers that you wouldn't have enough of to use on a page but are perfect for a card. And with most cards at the store costing at least two dollars (and more!) I figure I'm saving money, too!

Avery received nine awards, but I have to say the most special one was the "Measuring-Up Award". Only six kids out of all three classes together got this one. The teachers described the children who they gave this award to as ones who are always on task, good leaders and never any trouble. I would have to say I was pretty dern proud of my sweet Avery today!






10 comments:

  1. Congrats to Avery! I'm sure your other kids will follow in her footsteps! Very cute gifts & cards too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Avery! Nine awards!!!! That's so wonderful that she got the Measuring Up award. What a huge honor to be chosen for that! I'm crazy about those darn flower pen thingys! Looks like you & Avery are a teacher's dream :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Avery! Looks like she is following in Moma's footsteps, huh? (:
    Girl, those flower pots and cards are cute. Keep those creative juices flowing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very proud of Avery, too. I always knew she was a leader! I know you & Gus are very proud of her. I think making cards is a great idea. They are very personalized this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great student... and a momma teachers love. Thanks for sharing her honors with us...she is number one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey..love those snazzy cards and pen holders. Great ideas. Way to be smart, Aves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of my students gave me one of those flower pens. I love it! Good choice Janet. Those teachers will keep those for years to come. SO GLAD SUMMER IS COMING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay Avery! Of course she's a great student! And great gift ideas for the teachers! I'm so impressed, but then again, you always impress me with the things you do! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She is growing up so fast! What an accomplishment to get so many awards! I know you're proud! I'll call you soon, we just got back from Sanibel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super!!! I'm so proud of her. I love the crafts too. So glad she had such a great year and I know you are one proud Mommy!

    ReplyDelete