Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back to School

Okay, so I'm a little late on this post, but as anyone that follows my blog knows, I tend to blog in spurts, so here is my back to school post! Miss Meagan is back at First Baptist Wildwood preschool in Mrs. Angela's class. So far, she has had a little bit of a hard time adjusting to a new class, new friends, and a new routine. The "highlights" have been that she had an "accident" in her pants so she could change into her spare outfit on week one and she gave herself a haircut on week two. What will next week bring......?????

Notice the shoes my little Miss Priss had to wear on the first day - they're peep-toe wedges!

Next, onto Avery's schooling for this year. I think most of you know that we have chosen to homeschool Avery this year, but some of you do not know why and may be surprised by our decision after she was in public school for three years. I feel like I have to be very careful how I say what I want to say because I know this is a very controversial subject. Let me start by saying that this is solely what we felt like what was best for our daughter and our family. I am in no way promoting/advocating this for anyone who may read this blog or knows me.
It's hard for me to concisely state "why" we're homeschooling Avery. I, of course, have several friends who successfully homeschool their children, but that never once made me want to give it a try. In fact, I didn't really even "get" why they homeschooled their children. My own journey started when I volunteered to be a member of the School Advisory Council for Wildwood Elementary last year (beginning of Avery's 2nd grade). After the first meeting, my eyes were opened wide to the challenges that school faces because of the demographics of students that attend there. I also could not believe the amount of money that was being spent on trying to bring up the "below average" students and that very little was being done for "above average" students. Let me say here that we were very blessed to have three wonderful teachers in Avery's three years at WWES. It's simply not about the teachers. There are many, many wonderful teachers at that school and public schools around the state and country that are doing the best they can with what they have, but sometimes that's not enough for all students.
So for the past year, I have been researching, praying, and talking about what I should do for Avery's education. I didn't feel like changing jobs was the answer (so she could attend the Villages Charter School). I do feel like the quality of education there is greater - due in large part to greater funding and mandatory parental involvement. I also knew we couldn't afford a private school and I also didn't want to spend a large part of my day shuttling Avery back and forth to Leesburg or Ocala. So, I started looking into homeschool for the first time and it was like a light bulb went off for me and it finally made sense. I asked myself - Q: "Why do I go to work every weekend and stay home all week?" A: so I can be the primary caregiver to my two younger children. Well, the thought occurred to me that just because Avery is eight years old, doesn't mean she doesn't have that same need anymore. And because she was in school all week and I worked all weekend, I had very little quality time with her at all and it really bothered me and it bothered her. I also wanted Avery to have the freedom to explore subjects she was interested in and not just what was on the State Standards for her grade. Avery is very artistic and creative and there just isn't much room for that in a standard school especially as she gets older. Of course we are covering the basics, but there is soooooo much more out there that we haven't even scratched the surface of yet and I can't wait to learn along with her!
I know this post is really long, but I just wanted to get this all out and make sure I explain myself fully. I know I don't "owe" anyone an explanation, but I really don't mind talking about it and I want to be understood and supported even if everyone doesn't agree with me. We are each responsible for our own children and what we do with/for them for the time we are raising them. I know in my heart that this is what is best for Avery Anne Kornegay for right now and that's all I can say for sure. She is so happy to be home with me and I am so enjoying her presence and zest for life! As far as Meagan and Hunter go, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I will be surely consulting God about that and I will be obedient to His will, just as I am doing with Avery. I truly feel God's blessing on us right now as we step out in faith and go against the grain to do what is right for us.

Here's my happy little homeschooler at the dining room table - ready to learn!

A couple of pictures from our first Co-op last Friday. We are studying The Story of the World and it it Avery's favorite subject by far!! I love that she has the opportunity to learn so much about world history at this age.

I am so thankful to all the other homeschooling Moms that have helped me take this leap - have been there to answer all my questions no matter how big or small and have welcomed me and Avery into their group with open, loving arms! You all know who you are and I love ya!!!

So far, I'm loving the freedom that we have to do what we want when we want. It has taken so much stress off of me which is a very good thing. I'm looking forward to alot of trips we have planned this year also which so far include a trip to the Orlando Philharmonic, Epcot, MOSI in Tampa, and a play! I'm going to wrap up this post since it definitely wins the award for "my longest post EVER!" Thanks for taking the time to read about my life and thanks for your prayers and support!

6 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful post Janet. Thank you for sharing your heart and your perspective. I think you spoke well for all of us when you said it's about "our daughter and our family."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are making a great decision since u feel so at peace about it. And I am with u! I too love my job (WHS) and it would be hard to change jobs just for Will 2 go 2 The Villages. I don't know what I will do about kindergarten. I agree about WWES..it's not the teachers as much as it is the demographics. And many of us may send our children there because it's the choice that may work 4 us. If it works out 4 me 2 homeschool...it may be a choice I make. Who knows...but I'm so glad things are working out 4 u!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Meagan's off to a great start. Ha! Glad you're doing what is right for your family. Gotta go with your gut. If you know it's the right decision, then you should feel secure in that. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. They're not in your shoes, or your family, or your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, you gotta do what is right for your family. I know that was probably a very hard decision. It was a hard decision for me to go back to work but something that Dr. Albino told me helped so much. It's not a decision you make once and you never look back you have to take a look at their educational needs on a yearly basis and make adjustments where needed. I felt a load being lifted off of me when she said that, it just helped knowing that my decision to go back to work isn't a forever decision as the needs in my family change I will make adjustments. Good luck this year, I know it will be a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet- I am so happy that you made this choice. My kids both go to Eustis Elementary, where I am on the SAC board. Every meeting leaves me scratching my head. Especially now with all the deep budget cuts. I can hardly wait to read your next post to hear how things are going. Good for you for making hard choices that need to be made for your child. You are the ONLY advocate for your children in this world. BTW....love the wedges!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me just say that Avery's beaming in her back to school picture)! Looks like the center of God's will to me! Josie told me about Meagan cutting her hair. She was so sad that Mrs. Angela put her friend Meagan's face on yellow. Enjoy your year girlie!

    ReplyDelete