Sunday, August 2, 2009

Museum of Natural History

On Friday, we headed over to Gainesville to the Florida Museum of Natural History. It's only about 35 miles from the camp. Gus and I had not been there since we were kids and our kids had never been there. It was wonderful! The highlight of the museum was definitely the butterfly rainforest, but we enjoyed everything we saw. I would like to go back with just Avery when we have more time to read and explore without the distraction of impatient younger siblings. I'll have to plan on that this fall. One of the student volunteers was kind enough to take a family photo of us in front of the big mammoth. Imagine that..... Mom in one of the pictures!



Avery climbing on the rope spider web in the butterfly exhibit.


The kids loved exploring the caves - love that look on Hunter's face!


Avery pretending to be a caterpillar in it's cocoon.



Gus and Hunter weren't as impressed with the butterflies as the girls and I were, but that's alright...


I think this it the Blue Morpho... Loved this one!




Meagan was tried very hard to contain her excitement and follow all of the rules given to us before we could enter. It's only natural to want to touch a beautiful butterfly when it's inches from you isn't it?

This picture does not do this beautiful bright green butterfly justice. It was my favorite!



That is Avery's finger reaching up to that butterfly - I had to remind her that was a big No-No!



I have to admit that I was thinking of my sister Lisa the whole time we were in the Rainforest. She could probably spend hours in there taking some awesome pictures with her fancy camera and I'm sure they'd do more justice to the beauty of these creatures than my little point and shoot. Can't wait to go back!

3 comments:

  1. Wow it looks like that place is alot of fun! I can't wait until Mason is old enough to do things like that! I can't believe they don't let you touch the butterflies though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Butterfly museum. It looks like you had a great time. I do love all the cute pics of the kids and the family picture is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a lovely stay-ca. Those butterflies remind me of when I took Avery to Lukas butterfly garden a long time ago. She was so little then. They let her drink nectar from a flower.

    ReplyDelete